The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 CASE-IH 9120 combine that when the weather gets below 55 degrees the yield monitor will not work, it says that the connections failed, I had my local dealer work on this several times last year and they thought I was crazy when I told them it worked on warm days but wouldn't when it cooled off. (Usually they thought they had fixed it but actually it had warmed up and the sun shining on it made it work) I finally proved this by taking a hair dryer and blowing warm air on the sensor for about 10 minutes one night and after doing so it worked fine until I shut combine off and went to dump a truck load then when I came back it was same thing AFS 600 monitor would say no connection to yield monitor. Also my moisture sensor keeps blowing the in-line fuse, my local dealer put a 10 amp fuse in and it still blew fuse, motor seems to be fine because when I took it off and hooked it straight to 12 volt supply it ran fine. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have a 2009 CASE-IH 9120 combine that when the weather gets below 55 degrees the yield monitor will not work, it says that the connections failed, I had my local dealer work on this several times last year and they thought I was crazy when I told them it worked on warm days but wouldn't when it cooled off. (Usually they thought they had fixed it but actually it had warmed up and the sun shining on it made it work) I finally proved this by taking a hair dryer and blowing warm air on the sensor for about 10 minutes one night and after doing so it worked fine until I shut combine off and went to dump a truck load then when I came back it was same thing AFS 600 monitor would say no connection to yield monitor. Also my moisture sensor keeps blowing the in-line fuse, my local dealer put a 10 amp fuse in and it still blew fuse, motor seems to be fine because when I took it off and hooked it straight to 12 volt supply it ran fine. Any ideas would be appreciated.
You never actually say it, but I assume you're talking about the moisture sensor, correct? What is the exact fault code that appears when you're having problems? This will help to narrow down the problem.

The inline fuse that you're referring to is a fuse for the bypass unit, not the moisture sensor, so it may or may not be a part of this problem.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I didn't explain problem very well. the bypass motor is blowing the 5 amp in-line fuse, my local dealer worked on this and replaced the fuse with a 10 amp fuse and it read moisture for a short amount of time before it blew fuse again. I have to assume the moisture sensor is correct because before blowing fuse it would have different readings on moisture throughout the field. I took bypass unit off and hooked motor up to a 12V battery and it ran fine for several minutes didn't get hot or anything. I read in another post where you could go to diagnostics on the Pro 600 monitor and actually test the motor but I can't find out where. And also it said that proximity switch could be bad or needs adjusted, I know there is an adjustment screw on this switch but how do you know what to adjust it to?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I guess I didn't explain problem very well. the bypass motor is blowing the 5 amp in-line fuse, my local dealer worked on this and replaced the fuse with a 10 amp fuse and it read moisture for a short amount of time before it blew fuse again. I have to assume the moisture sensor is correct because before blowing fuse it would have different readings on moisture throughout the field. I took bypass unit off and hooked motor up to a 12V battery and it ran fine for several minutes didn't get hot or anything. I read in another post where you could go to diagnostics on the Pro 600 monitor and actually test the motor but I can't find out where. And also it said that proximity switch could be bad or needs adjusted, I know there is an adjustment screw on this switch but how do you know what to adjust it to?
Diagnostics > Settings, then choose Group = AFS, and Parameter = Bypass Unit or Bypass Motor. Then go to the Graph screen (next tab to the right) to actually test the motor.

If the fuse is blowing, the motor is working too hard (pulling too much current). Could be due to a bad/failing motor, could be that your sample is dirty and bits of cob are jamming the cleanout auger, could be that there is an intermittent short, or the end of the auger is rusty (where it spins in the plastic end cap), etc.

A bad prox switch won't cause the fuse to blow, unless maybe the switch is constantly closed and makes the motor run full time. But even then, you shouldn't have a problem. It's normal for the motor to run almost all the time in high-flow crops anyway.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts