The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Call me strange but I'd buy a late 2388 or 2588 with a Case 1052 or Macdon 972. Then I'd pocket the rest of the money to spend elsewhere.

$250k could easily buy a CR9070 with a 40' head.

There's much more that goes into a combine decision than just you have X money to spend. That's why I could never fully answer that without knowing more.

Now if it's just a question for fun, I miss running our 2388 now and then but it just doesn't have the capacity like our CR9070 does.

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
I heard you say you were doing canola so buy a Claas. Then buy a grain loss pan and prepare yourself to be shocked.

This is based on my experience which has been validated by a few different farms now that I know of. I had the Elevation CR as a close second but one of the guys that bought one of my previous CR9090's panned it against Deere/Massey and a Claas and said the Claas blew everything away. Tests done in wheat and canola. He thought the grain loss pan was a great thing to have unless you like your combine.:29:

·
Registered
441 Posts
if color isn't a problem then check them all out and the one with the fewest hours and best shape should make up your mind. we run a MF 9560 and love it!

·
Super Moderator
3,041 Posts
I heard you say you were doing canola so buy a Claas. Then buy a grain loss pan and prepare yourself to be shocked.

This is based on my experience which has been validated by a few different farms now that I know of. I had the Elevation CR as a close second but one of the guys that bought one of my previous CR9090's panned it against Deere/Massey and a Claas and said the Claas blew everything away. Tests done in wheat and canola. He thought the grain loss pan was a great thing to have unless you like your combine.:29:
Anyway you could roughly generalize results?
Think you did some on your own fields?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Too funny how most everyone answers with another question. My first choice would be a 9870 and second choice a New Holland rotor. If your primary is a s680 then you may consider a high houred s680

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
If you are running a JD now with no intent of changing colors I'd go buy another JD. If you are on the bubble of thinking maybe you should switch brands for whatever reason then use this opportunity to purchase or demo one of that color.

I'm by no ways brand loyal but its easier to keep certain parts on hand for two machine that use the same parts than it is for two different colors.

·
Registered
441 Posts
If you are running a JD now with no intent of changing colors I'd go buy another JD. If you are on the bubble of thinking maybe you should switch brands for whatever reason then use this opportunity to purchase or demo one of that color.

I'm by no ways brand loyal but its easier to keep certain parts on hand for two machine that use the same parts than it is for two different colors.
You took the words right outta my mouth !!! I personally think you'd pick up a NH, Mf , Claas , CaseIH or Gleaner with less hours, wear and tear and money left over!!! Everyone is going to have preference for the brand they run so it's up to you whether you truly want to try something different or not.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Another colour isn't out of the question. Would like to be around that 1500-1800 separator hours. Not scared to try something new. Pretty much have all colours around within 50kms for dealer service. Each machine should only be doing approx 150hrs a year. Already run a cart and have potential man power around. Don't have a dryer just heated Aeration. 2nd combine is the answer and the question at hand.
Figured I would just throw it out there hypothetically if you had $250k to spend what's in your line up.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Watch the RB auctions and try to steal an off color model. Seen lots of low hour Massey/NH combines go cheap. The only color that matters is Green (money)

·
Registered
121 Posts
What about an automated dryer and another grain bin or two . You will get more storage and you can start earlier. There will be conditions even with two machines that you may not be able to go for a day or so.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
I surely wouldn't spend that much on a second combine but I might spend 10 grand on a fifth combine with a good flex head. LoL, I just have a little different taste.

But really a guy could go price shopping for a nice old combine just to see how cutting with a second one fits into the operation. Something cheap enough if your not happy depreciation won't kill ya.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Just to add another thought is a late CR970. The last year of the 970 had more horsepower and matched the 9070s. They can be bought pretty cheap these days.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Oh always torn here ��, was on the fence on more bins & dryer. The wants/needs wish list is always big . Still have lots of time to go kick tires. Looking at everything. Wanting to get educated on all colours . I'm not scared to try something different, Still want to stick with a rotor or 2

21 - 40 of 74 Posts