The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ken Adams
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until you go to dig them out or drop them in a hole as we did yesterday with this one.
And yes, it was quite dry all around it!!
I believe this one would be the largest one found on this farm.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
That is a lot of petrified dinosaur crap!!

I have dug some out probably half that size. Still big enough !! My grand father use blast the tops off them with home made ANFO. I had the most amazing childhood,........some would say I'm still living it.

·
Ken Adams
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
coolio - only trees are ones planted - i.e. yard sites and a few shelterbelts.
it is bare, and only some is "flat". Pic is a little deceiving because this is fairly high ground.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
That's just a little pebble compared to some I have here:)

But ya its sometimes very intriguing when one goes to dig one out, and how something that seemed about the size of a barrel at the surface just keeps getting bigger and going deeper....no dam wonder they so hard on equipment:22:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
coolio - only trees are ones planted - i.e. yard sites and a few shelterbelts.
it is bare, and only some is "flat". Pic is a little deceiving because this is fairly high ground.
Not much to slow down the wind when she gets blowing....what on earth did you pull that rock out with, a 4wd or excavator?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Nice rock. We have our share of these too. Have one on my home quarter I wanted on my front lawn. It is massive but I thought we could dig it out with the d8 and roll it. Well, we started digging down and after we hit the bottom it was level with the top of the canopy. Didn't look like rolling it out was going to be easy so dad dug a hole beside it and buried it deeper.

Makes you wonder about the horse days when guys would hook a rock with the sulky plow. Said it would throw guys onto the eveners.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
You titled that just right!

My father in laws place is plagued with boulders like that, as soon as ya think you found one that's no big deal, pretty soon you have a huge track hoe and a D8 dozer out there digging away all because of some little rock.... LoL, I can see you know the feeling

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts

Found that pebble in a slough last week. I was crossing a slough with my track hoe when all at once I came to an abrupt stop and I thought I lost a track or something. Backed up and felt around with my bucket and up came that rock. It was totally underneath the water, never saw it. The hoe had all it could do to lift it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
All the old guys around here talk about drilling a hole and "blow 'em across the section". I think it would be fun but I think I'm still picking up pieces of the rocks they blew up!

·
Ken Adams
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IHC560- since Aug 1st, about 4.5". But it was powder dry on knoll where that stone was, which I think says how dry we were last spring! And anywhere we have that white ish dirt, it is always dry, like it can't absorb any moisture. Maybe should be ripped, but with stones like this??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts