The Combine Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
This is one of my favourites. It is hard to watch it without feeling quite enthused about the whole farming thing. Often watch it when I get home after a bad day. I believe it is a large German co-op of farms in Eastern Europe.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Sometimes I am confused by the videos coming out of europe. I am not even sure what they are doing.

For instance, why are they strip havesting then stooking the straw afterwards?

And the hay raking, why not just use a windrower and save an operation or does it need to be spread cut first to dry better? Is it humid in Europe? Here in Canada you can cut hay with a swather and bale it 5 days later without even turning it.

Is the land so close together that the grain hauler has time to drive the tractor and wagon all the way back to the yard? Why is grain just dumped onto a warehouse floor instead of into a bin? Does it need extra drying?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Sometimes I am confused by the videos coming out of europe. I am not even sure what they are doing.

For instance, why are they strip havesting then stooking the straw afterwards?

And the hay raking, why not just use a windrower and save an operation or does it need to be spread cut first to dry better? Is it humid in Europe? Here in Canada you can cut hay with a swather and bale it 5 days later without even turning it.

Is the land so close together that the grain hauler has time to drive the tractor and wagon all the way back to the yard? Why is grain just dumped onto a warehouse floor instead of into a bin? Does it need extra drying?
I will try to answer as best I can, I have visited Germany a few times but I am not familiar with that operation so I can only speculate.

A lot of the time grass crops are so heavy (theirs was utterly pants and very light mind in that video) that it needs to be spread out to dry properly. We often cut grass into swaths and then rake them into a single big one for the forager to pick up.

Yes, a lot of the time the distances involved with hauling product is short so it makes sense to use tractors and trailers. Also, in a wet year taking a truck off road would be a serious headache.

We do have silo stores and floor stores across Europe. It depends on the farm in question. Floor stores give you flexibility to store a lot of smaller quantities and different varieties etc, and also the store can be used to store seed or fertiliser if you want to. Often grain will be cleaned and dried before being put into long term storage, I would guess that the predominance of silos in your part of the world is because you can harvest dry grain far more often than we can here.

Regarding the stripping and straw cutting later, this will be done where they want the straw for thatching. Rather than put the straw through an actual combine, where it is invariably bent and smashed to heck, they just cut it and bundle it separately.

I have seen stripper headers working where they leave the straw stood and just drill into it, and I suspect I might know of the farm where they are doing it in that video. I would like a customer of mine to try it but the straw here is worth £25-40 an acre so it is commonly sold to livestock farmers.

A lot of the crop in that previous video of mine was grown for biogas, the economics and energy efficiency of this I can only guess at. It is certainly a huge business across most of Europe, in Eastern Europe, almost every farm has one.

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Good one to get everybody pumped up for harvest!

Notice they only put the best combines in this video but use a different brand to "market" their video. Rather odd but a very cool video nonetheless, enjoy!:smile:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I guess I'll throw our harvest video in here too... not as flashy as some but the amount of mud makes up for it

61 - 78 of 78 Posts