The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, we as farmers determine the future of Ag companies. The worst thing we can do is complain about technology - but buy it and fully support it.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is awesome and the future of farming..... But it is if we all make it so. I would never ever ever buy a new JD anything. What they are doing is reprehensible.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
My inner geek blew its load all over that display.

Then my inner economist bitch slapped my inner geek for wanting to support JD’s and likely every other manufacturer’s model
Of we the farmer never actually owns any of the tech even though we can have millions tied up in it and on top of that it’ll be subscription’s and unlocks out the wazoo to use it.

No thanks.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
The debt hangover caused by low ROI and the lack of young people being able to enter Ag is going to give these companies a massive wake call in future.

Deere has totally missed the mark on the future in farming imo.

Ant...

·
Registered
39 Posts
How do we get a new generation set up to farm and yet expect them to use all new tech to do it with. Is there that much $'s in AG or am I missing something?

Days of picking up some secondhand equipment and get started is gone. If you can't grow maximum yield and get top $ you aren't likely to make it.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My inner geek blew its load all over that display.

Then my inner economist bitch slapped my inner geek for wanting to support JD’s and likely every other manufacturer’s model
Of we the farmer never actually owns any of the tech even though we can have millions tied up in it and on top of that it’ll be subscription’s and unlocks out the wazoo to use it.

No thanks.

That is just the beginning. you will license seed, equipment, inputs etc. Not buy it. Hence the obscene focus by every company to accumulate data.

Walter, there is a lot of money in Ag, but as layers of tech get piled on there is less for you while supporting new businesses with marginal if any yield gains. That is what is so disappointing about a lot of tech, actual production rarely increases above the cost of it - or even not at all.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I agree Brian totally with that statement. We all have bought into the big yield purchasing but have gained nothing. In all actuality probably less because farms had to grow to survive and is still happening.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
There is piles and piles of money in Ag, just the farmer gets to keep very little of it, if any.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I agree Brian totally with that statement. We all have bought into the big yield purchasing but have gained nothing. In all actuality probably less because farms had to grow to survive and is still happening.
Hey now we did get some really cool computer screens out of the whole deal!

Ooh pretty pictures

·
Registered
8 Posts
Technology is useful in Ag. But not on machinery. Anything that causes down time on machinery costs money. Everything needs to be built so repairs can be done quickly.

Irrigation and grain handling is where technology will really help. Imagine having an auger you could leave unattended because it automatically shuts off when the grain stops flowing.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I’m old school, I like running equipment , enjoy growing a crop ,I appreciate ac ,hyd , powershift a cab yes and heat in cab .
The new “ farmer “ doesn’t care about all that .
Give him two iPads two techies and 40000 acre and a marginal income and he’s happy , drive around in pickup all day .
Oh better have a beer ��

·
Registered
338 Posts
lol @ all the dinosaurs "this will never work", "the younger generation prefers ipads over machines" and my favorite "Gonna have to pay a subscription :( "

Yep, my great uncle always said tractors would never replace horses either.

I don't like the prospect of losing my tractor seat but I also don't see all this autonomous garbage becoming a reality anytime soon because I still believe one of these driverless pieces of crap is going to kill someone and the $hit is gonna hit the fan because nobody is going to accept the responsibility for it.

If/when this becomes common reality I can always quit farming too if I don't want to adapt to it. Even at 36 I don't get excited about new technology like I used to.

·
Registered
647 Posts
We farm in some very cut up ground. The glaciers were not kind to the country a few thousand years ago. That being said the auto section we have on the sprayer and drill saves us a pile of money each year. Tech helps make us efficient. That being said it comes with a price that's not just paid in dollars. The added complication can be a real PIA. I'm also not an early adopter of the first thing to come out. It's got to prove a measure of reliability before I consider it. I'm not the oldest guy on here, but I'm far from the youngest. I grew up in a world without tech and computers by and large and never saw the first video game system until adulthood. Tech for me is a tool. Nothing more.

All that aside there always is a lot of chest thumping on this topic. I get a kick out of the contrast. Sure there's a bunch young guys who probably ooooo and ahhhh over screens. But it's probably less than you'd think. Tech is so common it's not as impressive as it once was.

The other crowd is what I find funny. Just remember you're nothing but a wet behind the ears, wild eyed youth with an unhealthy fascination for the internal combustion engine. Real men use horses. Tractors wear out the dirt.

I jest of course. But the ball just moves every few decades. The early adopters jump in (sometimes too enthusiastically) and the "old school" lines up to deliver sanctimonious opinions on the sad state of new farmers. Both sides get too emotional, I guess it sounds good when you repeat your opinions to those who agree with you.

I've been around to see it happen a few times. It'll keep happening. I'm sure there was bunch of guys pissed about a new steel plow that some young idiot named John was inventing a few years ago.

Well I've got to go. I've probably dedicated more thought to this then it's worth. Got some broken discs to replace this morning. Then I better track down the broken wire in the auto steer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts