The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering would it be a good idea to put zinc anodes on my corn planter to prevent rusting from dry fertilizer?? I know washing and keeping it clean is the best way to keep it clean but was wondering if they would help as well???

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
The zinc anodes will also work well when your planter is buried in the mud.

The zincs need a return path for the galvanic action. Air is not a sufficient conductor, soil is.

Wash it and then spray with used motor oil. Thin with mineral spirits as necessary.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
All silliness aside, its two completely different processes. Galvanic action is NOT corrosion and vice versa, corrosion is NOT galvanic activity. What you see in your planter is corrosion - your only defence is mechanical protection (paint or oil) or replacing the parts with more resistant material (stainless steel or plastic).

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Galvanic action is NOT corrosion and vice versa, corrosion is NOT galvanic activity.
Not quite true. Ever wonder why pipelines have sacrificial zinc anodes? Ships too.

Even galvanizing offers some anode effect.

While this is not a corrosion forum, the OP was thinking when he posed the question.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Pipelines and ships have sacrificial anodes (which are NOT always zinc, BTW) to protect them from galvanic electrolysis. That is a completely different process than corrosion.

Galvanic electrolysis is similar to the process by which lead acid batteries store and release electricity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts